Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So, yes, that sound you hear IS hell freezing over

I went and saw an ENT today. I've had so much anxiety about this appointment. Mostly because I have learned from my vast experience with health professionals that they don't always know best. In fact, it feels like half the time they are guessing. I guess I can't blame them, because apparently I am a freak of nature. I can't tell you how many times I've been told by doctors that whatever illness or condition I'm seeing them for they've NEVER seen before. And if they have seen it before, it was on small children, or on certain types of foliage. In fact, I don't think I've ever gotten a diagnosis until after the Dr has excused themselves from the room. They would normally make excuses like they had to pull my chart, or check the contraindications of whatever drug they were thinking of prescribing me, but I'm pretty sure they actually went to google my symptoms.
So, you know how my ears bleed? Well, the nurse at work guessed that it was a hemangioma. In. My. Ear. And you know who normally gets hemangiomas? Infants. Seriously. The nurse said she's never seen one on an adult and never in the ear. And the two nurses she brought in to stare horrified at my ear concurred. She said she thinks the ENT would use forceps to pull it off and then cauterize my ear. Aren't forceps what you use to deliver a baby with?? I didn't know they were multi-functional. And who's great idea is it to burn an open wound? Why does that sound like a good plan??
Well, the ENT said it is not a hemangioma. He said it was an abnormal skin growth (appetizing, eh?) and I have to have surgery. And I have to have surgery on both ears because of all the chronic problems I've always had. So I guess surgery is better than getting burned in an open wound, right?? Maybe?
So the bad news is (aside from the surgery and abnormal skin growth junk) is that I don't get to see the surgeon for two weeks. And this little ear thing keeps bleeding ALL. THE. TIME. which isn't fun ever, but it's really not fun at night because either the blood gets all over me and the sheets or it bleeds and drains into my ear. Which isn't pleasant. So I don't sleep much and am kinda in pain all the time.
Well, you know what they say, whatever doesn't kill you makes you wish it did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry about all that! What an absolute pain (no pun intended). But i have to say that your quote at the end is hilarious!!! I LOVE it! my mom always quotes that stupid one about killing making you stronger....whatever. I am now going to counter my mom with YOUR quote!!! By the way, how are you? :)